Virtual Education in Nursing: Level 1
This 13 module (39 CE credit) course introduces nursing educators, scholars, and leaders to basic theory, pedagogy, applications, dynamics and the process of teaching nursing in the virtual environment. The learner will design a fundamental learning environment for nursing instruction as part of the assessment process. This course entails 39 instruction hours, equivalent in length to a standard 3 credit college course. This course is personalized, self-paced and taken entirely online in the privacy and comfort of your own home or office. You will receive one to one interaction with your instructor and your modes of assessment and study will be fine-tuned to suit your personal learning styles, preferences and needs.
Practice includes learning how to utilize the online environment to teach a selected nursing topic. The principles of design, metaphor, color, usability, visual learning, graphics, navigation and interaction will be incorporated and applied to the design of a rudimentary learning environment. The learner will learn fundamental html coding, basic graphic manipulation, forum and chat moderation and set-up, and how to work within and customize a course management system.
This course is intended to provide the learner with the opportunity to:
- Understand and apply theory related to distance education, virtual pedagogy, web development and design, human-computer interfaces, and online aesthetics.
- Explore the dynamics of planning an online learning environment for nursing.
- Apply principles of design, metaphor, color, usability, visual learning, graphics, navigation and interaction to the development of an online learning environment.
- Customize an online course management system to facilitate selected nursing education environment development.
- Practice online education development using selected computer applications
- Explore the use of online learning environments for instruction, decision making, collaboration and networking
- Plan and create a fundamental online nursing education environment
- Apply, engage in and assess the utility of this online nursing education environment
Learners will be assessed using the following suggested methods (both self and instructor evaluation, customizable):
- Short Answer Journals and Worksheets: 20%
- Online Nursing Education Environment Plan: 10%
- Online Nursing Education Environment Design: 35%
- Online Nursing Education Environment Analysis: 25%
Upon completion, learners will receive a Board Approved Certificate of Completion for a 39 hour course in digital format.
Tuition is only $199. Once registered in our secure commerce area you can select the course and pay using PayPal (to process your credit card, bank withdrawal or e-check payment), Company/Institutional Check or Money Order to register for the course. Please note, if you elect to pay using e-check, check or money order, there will be a waiting period before enrollment, until the payment has cleared. Once registered, you will be manually enrolled to access the course within the course area, and your user name and password will be emailed to you. You can register at any time, since this is a 1 to 1 course and is done at your own pace. Click button to enroll in NRED 100 now!
- MODULE ONE: Preparing to Teach in an On-line Learning Environment
- MODULE TWO: Virtual Learning and Teaching Styles and Theory
- MODULE THREE: The Basics of On-line Course Presentation and Learning Activities
- MODULE FOUR: Incorporating Interactivity into Virtual Learning Activities
- MODULE FIVE: Evaluation in an On-line Environment
- MODULE SIX: Meeting Students Individual Learning Needs in a Virtual Setting
- MODULE SEVEN: Customizing the Learning Environment: Part 1 - Basic Html coding
- MODULE EIGHT: Customizing the Learning Environment: Part 2 - Graphics and Illustration
- MODULE NINE: Customizing the Learning Environment: Part 3 - Design, Metaphors, Colors
- MODULE TEN: Customizing the Learning Environment: Part 4 - Tables, Charts, Powerpoint
- MODULE ELEVEN: Customizing the Learning Environment: Part 5 - Chatrooms, Forums, Projects
- MODULE TWELVE: Ethics and Affective Learning in a Virtual Space - Confidentiality, Caring, Empathy, Dialogue, Reciprocity, Respect
- MODULE THIRTEEN: Collaboration and Group Work